What's In It for Mentors? Benefits of Mentoring with JOYW
Beyond helping girls, families and communities, what are the benefits of mentoring?
๑ Improved health, well-being, self-image and sense of self-worth.
๑ Feeling valued, appreciated, respected, competent and accomplished
๑ Personal development – in particular, insight, healing and integration related to one’s own childhood experiences
๑ Spiritual fulfillment
๑ A sense of satisfaction from contributing to one’s community in a very important way
๑ For parents – improved parenting skills and a more satisfying and fruitful relationship with one’s children
๑ For youth group leaders and teachers, deeper understanding of how to engage children and teens in leaning and meaning-making
๑ A modest income since we recommend - for many reasons - that JOYW Mentors charge a fee for their Girls' Circles. And we'll help you set up a fee structure that is sustainable for you and accessible to the community you serve.
Benefits of Mentoring: Science tells us so!
A study by Dr. Jean Rhodes of the University of Massachusetts at Boston concluded that mentors' benefits include:
1. An improved sense of health and well-being
2. An enhanced self-image and sense of self-worth
3. A sense of feeling valued and appreciated
4. A sense of feeling competent and accomplished
5. A sense of spiritual fulfillment
6. A feeling of having gained deeper insights into one's own childhood experiences
7. A deeper understanding of and appreciation the children in your life
8. A sense of satisfaction from "giving back to the community"
9. A sense of feeling needed
10. A sense of helping oneself through the act of helping others
11. A feeling of being respected by others for contributing to society in a very important way
Learn to lead Girls' Circles
Journey of Young Women offers adult women
who want to mentor girls
a comprehensive, online training.
Learn to mentor girls, lead Girls' Circles, and offer Coming of Age to girls.