Learn to mentor girls and lead Girls' Circles
~ Tuition reduced during pandemic ~
This Non-certificate Mentoring Girls Training offers exactly the same content and collaborative opportunities as the Certificate course, except that we do not review your notes and assignments.
Learn how your tuition payments support LGBTQ, black, indigenous and people of color here
- In June and July 2020, JOYW donated 10% of profits to Color of Change, working to build real power for Black communities. Until justice is real!
- JOYW donated to The Trans Justice Funding Project in August to fight against racism, ableism, transmisogyny, economic injustice, and other oppressive systems.
- In September, JOYW donates to Seeding Sovereignty, because vulnerable indigenous communities and their intergenerational knowledge keepers deserve our support.
- In October, we support We Are, working to extend anti-racist education.
- Committee for Hispanic Families and Children receives JOYW support in November.
- We cap the year by donating to the venerable SAGE - Services & Advocacy for LGBTQ Elders - in December.
- 2021 begins with a month of support for Honor the Earth, who uses Indigenous knowledge, art, music, and the media to raise awareness and support for Indigenous environmental issues.
- In February 2021, JOYW proudly donates to Color of Change, working to build real power for Black communities.
Partial scholarships available here
If covering Reduced Tuition would be a hardship:
* For single payment, use coupon code ACTIVISM to reduce tuition by 15%.
* For payment plans, use coupon code INTENTION to reduce tuition by 10%.
These coupon codes are valid for all of June 2021.
Compare here: "No-Frills" Mentoring Girls Training vs. Non-Certificate Training vs. Certificate Training
Non-Certificate students receive 100% of the core content, note-taking guidelines, and instructions for assignments - so you may learn as deeply and thoroughly as desired. They also enjoy 100% of JOYW"s extensive resources and opportunity to connect and converse with students, graduates, active mentors and JOYW staff.
TUITION NOTE: Partial scholarships are often available for the Certificate Training and Non-Certificate Training. Check the course descriptions for current offers - or contact us.
Tuition for our No-Frills Mentoring Girls Training by design is set just a teensy above our breakeven level, so additional discounts are seldom if ever offered.
Optional upgrade to earn Certificate of Completion: Learn how easy here
Through September 1, 2022, you may upgrade to the Certificate course for $439.
Again, the content between the two courses is exactly the same.
All students in both versions of the training receive a personal Note Posting Document where you may optionally post your notes and assignments. It's helpful to take notes and do the assignments whether or not you plan to upgrade to earn a Certificate of Completion.
We will gladly review your first set of notes so that you know that you're meeting the requirements for the Certificate. And then, if you choose to upgrade to the Certificate Training, we'll review the rest of your notes and assignments.
Please contact us if you have questions.
Step into mentorship
- and an amazing tribe of women -
when you join the
Mentoring Girls Training.
Share the lore of womanhood with girls – and embark on your own transformative journey!
This work is empowering and life-changing for girls and non-binary kids.
And it will be for you too – starting with this course, which is both practical and deepening.
Mentoring Girls Training
~ Thirteen Teaching Videos ~
The Teaching Videos are the core of the training. Learn everything you need to know about Girls' Circles - logistics, safety, prep, teaching messages, activities, marketing...
Enjoy the aliveness of handouts, tools, art, guided meditation, humor, even singing.
Learn every aspect of mentoring girls aged 8 - 14 based on an adaptable framework applicable to younger and older girls.
Also learn to work with the parents of the girls - which dramatically increases the effectiveness of your work with girls.
Dive into your own transformative journey as a trainee and mentor.
The Thirteen Teaching videos average a little over 1.5 hours each.
The Ancient Container
Emotional & Social
Puberty & Sexuality
Mentoring Girls Training
~ Our Virtual Red Tents ~
Our Red Tents are optional online, interactive gatherings via live video conference. Sisterhood learning + collaboration!
Ask questions, share stories, explore course topics, and develop your practical vision of empowering girls. Attend as many as you like. Watch the recording via the Red Tent Library if you miss the live gathering.
Click this box to view Red Tent topics and schedule
Red Tent Topics
All Virtual Red Tents are optional, so join those that fit your schedule and pique your interest. Most Red Tents are recorded - view them at your leisure from our extensive Red Tent Video Library.
We meet in Virtual Sacred Space, typically opening with a poem, short meditation, and Talking Circle followed by presentation and dialogue. The live, global connection with other students is incredibly uplifting and eye-opening.
Recent and upcoming topics:
- Mentoring and Social/Racial/Gender/Economic Justice" (Saturday, August 8, 2020)
- “Conflict in Girls’ Friendships” (Wednesday, August 18)
- "Welcoming Trans Girls and Gender Non-Conforming Kids" (Wednesday, August 26)
- "Marketing: Creating an Engaging Website" with Katharine Krueger (Saturday, September 5)
- "Four Baskets: A reminder of the sacredness the journey into life holds" with Andrea Zaleznog (Tuesday, September 15)
- "Talking to Kids about Racism" Open Conversation (Wednesday, September 23)
- "Plant Connection for Girls" Panel Discussion (Saturday, October 3)
- "Dance with the Cycles: The Seasonal Celebrations" with Karin Lucia Gisler (Tuesday, October 13 at 8:30 p.m. US Eastern)
- "Nature Connection for Kids" with Israh Goodall (Wednesday, October 28)
- "Our Families, Our Stories" experiential Red Tent (Saturday, November 7)
- "Online Girls' Circles" Panel Discussion (Wednesday, November 11)
- "Fun Ways to Teach Girls about Cycles" with Caitlin McMurtry (Tuesday, November 17)
- "Vasalisa the Wise by Clarissa Pinkola Estés: An Initiatory Teaching Story" with Katharine Krueger (Saturday, December 5)
- "Gentle Support for Self-Doubting Mentors" with Karin Lucia Gisler (Wednesday, December 9)
- "Guided Meditations for Mentoring Circles" with Katharine Krueger (Saturday, January 16, 2021)
- “Trauma-Informed Mentoring” Open Conversation with Katharine Krueger (Wednesday, January 20)
- "Dance with the Cycles: The Moon Cycle" with Karin Lucia Gisler (Tuesday, January 26)
- "Fee-Setting for Mentoring Circles” with Katharine Krueger (Saturday, February 6)
- "Allowing the Too-Good Mother to Die from Clarissa Pinkola Estés’ Initiatory Teaching Story" with Katharine Krueger (Tuesday, February 16)
- "Holding Mums' Circles" Panel Discussion (Wednesday, February 24)
- “Vasalisa Exposes the Crude Shadow from Clarissa Pinkola Estés’ Initiatory Teaching Story” with Katharine Krueger (Saturday, March 6)
- "Our Children, Our Stories" Experiential Red Tent (Tuesday, March 16)
- "Rites of Passage Stories" Panel Discussion (Wednesday, March 24)
- "Marketing: How to Get the Word Out" (Tuesday, March 30)
- "New Moon Intention Circle" with Katharine Krueger (Saturday, April 10)
- "Responding to Difficulties in a Mentoring Circle" with Katharine Krueger (Wednesday, April 21)
- "Seasonal Celebrations with Kids" (Tuesday, April 27)
- "Outdoor Mentoring Stories and Lessons" with Israh Goodall (Saturday, May 1)
- "Leading Dads' Circles" with Karin Lucia Gisler (Tuesday, May 18)
- "Writing Compelling Social Media Posts" with Katharine Krueger (Wednesday, May 26)
- "Navigating in the Dark on the Journey to Womanhood" with Katharine Krueger (Saturday, June 5)
- "Sacred Crafts with Girls" (Tuesday, June 15)
- "Our Bodies, Our Stories" experiential Red Tent (Wednesday, June 23)
Topics and schedule are subject to change.
More Red Tent Topics
Here are other topics that you'll find in the Red Tent Library and that we'll revisit "live":
- "Choosing and Working with a Co-Mentor"
- "Guided Meditations for Girls"
- "Tender Support for Mentors with Self-Doubt"
- "Help Girls Connect with Plants in Practical and Sacred Ways"
- "Mentoring Mixed Gender and Boys Groups"
- "Hormone Literacy"
- ”Positive Body Image for Girls”
- "Red Thread Circles for Mothers and Daughters"
- "Croning Ceremonies"
- "Key Elements of a Boys' Mentorship Initiative"
- "'Uniquely Me,' the JOYW Girls' Circle Song
- "Finding My Voice, Claiming My Values"
- "Body Awareness for Girls"
- "Positive Self-Image for Girls"
- "Circling with Girls of Mixed Ages"
- "The Art of Mentorship: Inquiry, Planning and Power"
- "Depth Work with Parents"
- "Birth as a Rite of Passage - A Sacred Experience for Girls with a Pregnant Woman and a Midwife"
- "Following the Moon with Girls"
- "New Moon Intention Circle for Girls"
- "Full Moon Gratitude Circles for Girls"
- "Chakra Meditations for Girls"
- "Songs to Sing with Girls"
- "Non-Violent Communication"
- "Cultural Appropriation"
- "Blessing Our Wombs"
- "Understanding Gender Fluidity"
- "Our Bodies, Our Stories"
- "Our Sexuality, Our Stories"
Most Red Tents are one hour long. All Red Tents are optional. If you enjoy an alive connection and diving deep, you'll love these.
Each Training Circle also gathers on a private Facebook group where we feed one another in so many ways. Ask questions, tell stories, request support, share ideas... It's a juicy community!
Mentoring Girls Training
~ Red Tent Video Library ~
Most of our Virtual Red Tent presentations and conversations are recorded and posted to JOYW's Red Tent Video Library.
Browse dozens of titles at your leisure. Your library card never expires.
Three new videos are added each month.
- Positive Self-Image for Girls
- Fertility Awareness for Girls
- Support for Self-Doubting Mentors
- Guided Meditations for Girls
- Talking about Self-Pleasure with Girls and with Parents
- Menstrual Literacy
- Claiming the Elevated Masculine
- Nature-based Mentorship
- Welcoming Trans Girls and Non-binary Youth
- Ceremonial Singing for All Ages
- Working with Boys
- Hormonal Literacy
- Positive Body Image for Girls
- Developing Your Sacred Business
- Dads' Gatherings
- Menstrual & Lunar Charting
- Solar Celebrations with Girls
- Intuition or the Lying Voice?
- and many more!
Mentoring Girls Training
~ Timeframe ~
This is a go-at-your-own-pace course.
Start right away - or whenever you like. Watch the Teaching Videos as many times as you wish through December 1, 2022
Power through the course in 4 weeks or meander through ... Take a break when you like ...
It's up to you.
Our collaborative Training Circle has no end date. Our aim is to freely provide supportive community space with Virtual Red Tents for as long as you wish. You will also have continuous access to dozens of videos in the JOYW Red Tent Library, all our Special Topic Facebook groups, and more. Best of all, JOYW continuously develops valuable new resources for all JOYW students and grads to help you launch and lead your Girls' Circles.
Mentoring Girls Training
~ Community & Sisterhood Collaboration ~
Sisters! If you love community and collaboration, it’s waiting for you here. You’ll meet women from around the world with diverse experiences and skills to share.
Click this box for more.
I am passionate and earnest about raising and mentoring confident, attuned, joyful girls *and* about facilitating your journey, as a mom or mentor, to empowering girls to be their unique, radiant, amazing selves.
So without holding back one smidgin, I share with you all my knowledge about what girls need – and how you and they can have an incredibly joyful and learningful time in circle together – and all the practicalities and nuts-and-bolts that support your circling.
Mentoring Girls Training
~ Making a difference for girls ~
Sisters! I can't begin to tell you how powerfully impactful a Girls' Circle is for every girl and for her family as well. My early mentees are still thanking me for what I passed onto them during their middle school years.
I supported my daughter in a mentored Rites of Passage process.
It changed both our lives. And then I knew that I had to step forward to make sure that every girl has this opportunity.
You can be part of empowering a generation of girls. Join us!
Every woman called to empower girls,
as a mentor or a mother,
deserves guidance and support.
So voilà, here is learning and here is a community of sisters.
Here are the skills and knowledge you need
...to circle with girls…
...to raise and mentor radiant girls …
...and to deepen your journey as an adult woman.
Here is a space for collaborative learning. Please know how truly welcome you are here – and how needed.
An amazing tribe of soulful women from around the world
eager to share stories and ideas,
and to hear yours.
Our common intent is to empower girls on their journey to womanhood.
Together we rise!
Sisters! Thank you so much for your interest in empowering girls.
I would love to hear from you, if you have questions, suggestions, or just want to let me know what's real for you right now.
Please write us at [email protected] or contact us here.
Journey of Young Women
P.S. Are you receiving the JOYW bi-monthly newsletter?
The Journey nourishes your womanly path - and helps you guide the girls in your life. It arrives each New and Full Moon with:
- zero spam
- one-click unsubscribe
- juicy essays
- practical inspiration
- Early Bird course alerts
- Free Red Tents
- resources ~ tools ~ more